Learn How to Communicate Effectively & Play What You Feel
Part 1: Theory
Identify Intervals • Exercises in 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths & 7ths • Exercises in Cells & Sequences • Approach Notes
Part 2: Interval Ear Training
Major • Lydian • Pentatonic • minor • Melodic minor • Harmonic minor • Dominant • Lydian Dominant • Altered • Half Diminished • Diminished
Guaranteed to Improve Your Creative Ideas & Musical Ear
This book is very much a continuation of my first book, ‘How to Master The Electric Bass’ and whilst the first book did briefly cover intervals, I felt like it really deserved a more extensive section. Whilst the first book taught you how to play your instrument utilising different techniques to get the notes under your fingers, this book will teach you how to speak music and the fundamental building blocks called intervals! Intervals are crucial within music as they are used to construct scales, melodies, arpeggios, chords, bass lines, riffs and everything that has a pitch. These intervals can be played in a multitude of ways which we’ll be exploring throughout the book.
At the end of this book, you will:
- Understand the building blocks of scales, melodies, arpeggios and chords
- Use intervals to construct better melodies
- Learn how to identify chords by ear
- Be able to identify different chords and their extensions/alterations
- Feel comfortable playing over different chords, and have a large musical toolbox of ideas to choose from when improvising
This book breaks each complicated concept into simple bitesize chunks, written in a sequence to maximize understanding.